The Mass communication and Journalism course is designed to provide understanding of various aspects of Mass Media including political and sociological approaches with technical knowhow. It provides students with an opportunity to critically explore the ways in which world of communications operate in international and national contexts. This course intends to introduce Students to practical experience and knowledge across the mediums. Students learn the way content is generated and used in the multi-platform and digitized environment of media industries. They also trained about the new media techniques in order to understand the processes of production, distribution, marketing and consumption.
As we are committed to bring together concepts and ideas with work ‘on the ground’, there is significant input from the industry professionals. The course enables students to develop their own focused area of interest. Their work-related experiences can potentially lead to a broad spectrum of cultural, media-based and artistic activities from broadcasting to journalism, Television, digital web production, E-content writing, and public relation, corporate communication to advertising.
The syllabus and curriculum provides students with the means to investigate and learn a range of working involving activities from creative production and creation to promotion, marketing and networking. The history, development and research in the media will be analyzed in various contexts. The social values and ethics are in the core of the program.
The primary and foremost goal of the course is to train the students in such a way so that they can acquire knowledge, skills and leadership quality to contribute in different forms of media.
Provide comprehensive knowledge and skills so that student can work in the field of media as well as in to academics.
DURATION OF STUDY:
The duration of B.A. (Journalism & Mass Communication) course shall be three academic year. Each year shall be divided into two semesters. Thus this course shall comprise six semesters spread over three years. On the completion of all the six semesters, the student will be awarded B.A. (Journalism & Mass Communication) degree. The student shall complete all the six semesters within a maximum period of 5 years from the date of admission to the first semester.
A candidate for admission to B.A. (Journalism & Mass Communication) course must have passed Senior Secondary Examination (10+2) of the Board of School Education, Bhiwani, Haryana or an examination recognized equivalent to thereof with minimum 50% marks (35% in case of SC students of Haryana State only).
- To create professional capability to work in electronic media as TV anchor, TV reporter, Panel Producer etc.
- To improve writing and communication skills for different media.
- To give strong base for higher education.
The Faculty of Mass Communication and Media Technology, SGT University, Gurugram.
The teaching strategy includes both theory classes as well as practical exercises, but more emphasis is on learning of skills and enhancing knowledge. Workshops, guest lectures, group discussion, seminar and industrial visits and internships are integral part of the teaching methods.
It is assumed,
- That there will be approximately 900 teaching hours in First year for Three years of Bachelor Degree Program. Out of these, Theory teaching (Modules) will be of 400 hours and Practical will be of 500 hours.
- That there will be approximately 900 teaching hours in second year for Three years of Bachelor Degree Program. Out of these, Theory teaching (Modules) will be of 400 hours and Practical will be of 500 hours. The teaching will be carried out on various modules for academic and professional training.
- That there will be approximately 900 teaching hours in Third year for Three years of Bachelor Degree Program. Out of these, Theory teaching (Modules) will be of 200 hours and Practical will be of 700 hours. The teaching will be carried out on various modules for academic and professional training.
The student will be exposed to practical demonstration in various Industries for above purposes
|Heads||Semester wise||Total hour/ Year|
|Project||100 hours/ semester||200|
|Assignments: As per given in modules.||75 hours/semester||150|
|Participative learning||75 hours /semester||150|
The theory training will be primarily from cognitive domain while practical training will be from cognitive, creative and effective module.
Course distribution: The Bachelor Degree program will be of three year duration. It will be divided into six equal terms of six months each.
|TOPIC (Subject wise)||HOURS||CREDIT HOURS|
|The topics covered in first term will include|
|Participative learning||75 hours||25|
|TOTAL HOURS||450 hours||150|
|The topics covered in second semester will include|
|Participative learning||75 hours||30|
|TOTAL HOURS||450 hours||150|
Students will have to complete 45 days internship during their course. (Part of curriculum)